World Tourism Day is celebrated every year on 27 September. Its purpose is to foster awareness among the international community of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
The event seeks to address global challenges outlined in the UN Millennium Development Goals and to highlight the contributions the tourism sector can make in reaching these goals.
The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has organized a Photo Competition on the occasion of World Tourism Day 2008. This year the theme is Tourism: Responding to the Challenge of Climate Change and the host country is Peru.
What we are looking for?
We are looking for photographs that showcase Climate Solutions in tourism. Examples include good practices that reflect how we adjust to protecting our planet from climate change and how we can alleviate its effects on the environment.
How to enter?
Participants must register and submit photographs electronically at UNWTO.org
Who can enter?
The competition is open to people of all ages, from all around the world.
When is the deadline for entries?
The deadline for receipt of entries is 30 November 2008. Winners will be notified before 30 December 2008 and a list of winners will be published on UNWTO.org.
- To enter this competition every participant is required to register and obtain an electronic identification. To register go to UNWTO.org
- Photos can be in color or in black and white and must be submitted from the web site after registration.
- Up to 5 photos may be submitted by each individual participant.
- Photos must be the individual work of the named participant and must not have been previously published.
- Photos must be submitted electronically in high resolution jpeg format (72 pixels) at UNWTO.org the preferred size is height 405 X width 540 pixels.
- All photos should be accompanied by a short description; no more than 25 words explaining how the picture showcases Climate Solutions in tourism.
- Top 5 pictures will be selected by a panel of judges. (prizes to be announced)
- Winners will be notified in writing via email.
Subsequent use of Photographs
Winning photos will be displayed on UNWTO website and the Organization reserves the right to use submitted photos, without restriction, for display and promotion purposes, and in its printed and online publications and information material.
Vallartense, your contribution is important! Join UNTWO in responding to the challenge of climate change. Taking of our planet, taking care of Vallarta, is everyone’s responsibility.