The Hotel Marsol Restaurant and Bar is perhaps the strangest listing in this Bar Guide. Officially, it is not a bar nor a restaurant but, rather, a 120 room hotel, one of the oldest (some say the 2nd oldest hotel) in Vallarta. It is a five story building covering almost all of a city block, built around a central courtyard that includes a large swimming pool. It’s a landmark.
The “bar,” itself, is a very long, spacious room just at the foot of the Los Muertos beach pier. In it you will encounter off-duty beach vendors, time share salespeople, boat captains and anyone who appreciates a good, cheap, cold cerveza out of the view of the tourist hoards. It is much more of a hotel lounge than a bar or restaurant but it’s not really a hotel lounge, although it is, technically.
The chairs are comfortable and the people friendly, if somewhat distant or private since they are probably tired from the grind. To purchase a beer, you go to one of the large beer refrigerators by the hotel desk, take out what you want, pay for it at the desk and open it yourself. There are plastic cups available if you don’t want to drink out of the bottle. If you are lucky, you will run into Jorge, the manager. He will go down in the books as an original Vallarta character.
This place is a treasure for those tourists wanting total immersion and those locals wanting nothing more than a reasonably priced cold beer and a comfortable place to sit. I don’t recommend the Marsol for the unseasoned tourist.
PROMO VIDEO FOR THE HOTEL:
- ADDRESS: Francisca Rodriguez 103, Colonia Emiliano Zapata, Los Muertos Beach
- WEBSITE: www.hotelmarsol.net/
- EMAIL: hotelmarsol @ yahoo.com
- PHONE: 322 222 1365, 322 222 0453
- HOURS/DAYS: All day and night, 365 days a year
- HAPPY HOUR: Only beer at the same low price all of the time. Corona or Pacifico is 12 pesos a bottle or 23 pesos for a ballena. Sodas or aqua are 8 pesos.
- Food is available delivered from CyCs
- No extras; the Marsol has no frills….
OTHER VIEWS & REVIEWS
GOOGLE STREET VIEW & MAP
(At the end of the street on the right….)
Updated April 14, 2010