During the week of February 23rd through 28th, Vallarta Botanical Gardens will host their 2nd annual Flower and Garden Show. This event, running Tuesday through Sunday, takes place at the peak of the Garden’s floral displays and will feature local products from our precious earth, floral designs from top florists. Local florists will compete for prizes in the Hall of Flowers inside the Hacienda.
Educational demonstrations will take place each afternoon at 2 pm. The Garden’s Vivero will be packed with plants for sale, such as coffee, chocolate and vanilla orchid plants, plus blooming orchids, rare plants, handmade baskets, and local pottery.
Everyone is invited to come out to the Gardens to revel in the glories of springtime in the Sierra Madre mountains. There is a $50 peso charge for the general public to enter the Gardens and entry is free for members. There is no additional charge to view the Flower & Garden Show.
A special brunch menu is available from 10am to 2m on Sundays for only $170 pesos and includes one cocktail, cinnamon bun, fresh fruit, local organic coffee and an entrée of your choice from the Brunch Menu.
Vallarta Botanical Gardens is only 35 minutes south of Old Town, located at Km 24 on Highway 200. Public transportation is available every 30 minutes from Old Town. Take the El Tuito – Botanical Gardens bus from corner of Aguacate & Carranza for only $20 pesos.
The Botanical Gardens are open from 10 am to 5:30 pm. Closed every Monday. Telephone 223-6182 for further information.
DEMONSTRATIONS and TALKS at 2pm:
Tuesday, February 23
- 2 pm – Robert Price, Founder of Vallarta Botanical Gardens, “Native Plants in the Vallarta Landscape” With a special discussion of the value of beauty in our lives.
Wednesday, February 24
- 2 pm – Rick Hepting of XPlanta Nursery, “Medicinal & Shamanic Plants of Mexico”
Thursday, February 25
- 2 pm – Bob Bruneau of Flowers To Go, “Create a Floral Arrangement to Take Home”
- Fee of $100 pesos includes instruction and all materials for a floral arrangement you take home. Pre-book your spot with Dianna #223-6182
Friday, February 26
- 2 pm – Jesus Mendez, Naturopathic Medicine & Iris Diagnostico, “Your pH and Health – Local Herbs have the Cure”
Saturday, February 27
- 2 pm – Luc Vleeracker of Vivero de Frutas Exoticas, “Tropical & Exotic Fruit which will Grow in Vallarta”
- A little personal note here: I (Rick Hepting, editor of this website) was the featured speaker on Wednesday. Following my talk I went over to Luc’s nursery and I’m blown away. There’s no other way to put it. If you are even half interested in growing tropical fruit trees here in Vallarta, this presentation is mandatory. Luc knows fruit trees and he sells just about anything you could want (at very reasonable prices).
Sunday, February 28
- 2 pm – Sergio Alpenia of Archie’s Wok, Chef & Orchid Nut, “Growing Orchids in Your Home”