From December through March, twelve Puerto Vallarta artists are opening their studios to the public for one weekend each month.
by Alex Gomez
This summer, local artists Angeline Kyba and Cathy Von Rohr came up with the brilliant idea to gather together local artists with or without representation from art galleries and persuade them to allow visitors into their studios, so they could be seen working away at their art.
These artists have agreed to open their studios on a monthly basis. Maps are available at selected local galleries.
ESTUDIOS ABIERTOS – OPEN STUDIOS
- January 23-24
- February 20-21
- March 20-21
10 am to 10 pm
ABOUT THE ARTISTS
Angeline Kyba was one of the first artists to reside in Yelapa, but was forced to leave by the ejido there. Regardless, she still paints scenes of Yelapa, and of people she meets in Vallarta. Her work is known for its use of vibrant, otherworldly colour. She now makes her home/studio in Gringo Gulch. She is independent, and prefers to sell her art on her own, without the help (and commission) of a gallery.
Javier Nino is versed in many different styles of art, from surrealist, to abstract, to photography. He is participating in next year’s ArtExpo, along with many of the other artists involved in the Open Studios project. He has his own gallery in the Romantic Zone.
Irere Topete loves working with paint and etchings. She has dedicated herself to teaching these subjects for a few years now. She derives her art from the natural world around her. At present, her work is on display in the local Naval Museum.
Fernando Sanchez works with ceramics and paint. If he had to, he would classify himself as neo-expressionist.
Rogelio Diaz is an autodidact. He is known for his Mexican-themed work, in oils and sculpture. Despite the fact that he has no training or education in art, he is one of the most popular painters in Vallarta. He now owns his own gallery. His work is characterised by its brilliant, kaleidoscopic colour.
Cathy Von Rohr resided in a small cove near Vallarta for 30 years. As such, she enjoys painting the jungle and ocean, in all their glorious colour, abstractly and realistically. She too prefers to sell her art from her own home/studio.
At press time, the other artists were unavailable for comment. Don’t miss the opportunity to meet all of them in their studios. They are all similar in that they are all individual, in both their personalities and in their art.
Cathy Von Rohr
- Manuel M. Dieguez 321, Zona Romantica
- Tel: (322) 222-5875
- Email: cathyvonrohr(at)yahoo.com
- Cuauhtemoc 635, El Centro
- Tel: (322) 222-4238
- Email: angiekyba(at)gmail.com
Fernando Sánchez Aceves
- Manuel M. Dieguez 306-9, Zona Romantica
- Tel: (322) 222-7584
- Email: lamalagua(at)hotmail.com
Luis Francisco Martinez Medina
- “Palos Talleres de Arte”
- Brasil 1039, Col. 5 de Diciembre
- Tel: (322) 222-5853
- Email: miraelviento(at)hotmail.com
Javier Niño Rodriguez
- “Estudio Javier Niño”
- Lazaro Cardenas 322, Zona Romantica
- Tel: 044-322-131-4895
- Email: javierart700(at)yahoo.com.mx
- “Estudio Gallery”
- Lazaro Cardenas 326, Zona Romantica
- Tel: (322) 222-3748
- Email: pintormarca(at)hotmail.com
- “Caracol” arte-estudio
- Libertad 311, El Centro
- Tel: (322) 222-1424
- Email: tirerica(at)gmail.com
- Venustiano Carranza 330, Col. Emiliano Zapata
- Tel: (322) 222-1052
- Email: woodybar(at)aol.com
- Felipe Angeles 242, Col. Paso Ancho
- Tel: (322) 222-1994
- Email: adacolorinaarte(at)hotmail.com
- María Montesori 220 (o 550) CASA 2, Col. Tabachines
- Tel: (322) 225-9534
- Email: oteropintora(at)hotmail.com
- Argentina 191 Altos esq. Peru, Col. 5 de Diciembre
- Tel: (322) 222-2676
- Email: ginnadigilio(at)hotmail.com
- Aldama #190, El Centro
- Tel: 044-322-160-5502
- Email: saulsalcedopvr(at)hotmail.com