The Fiesta Patrias is Puerto Vallarta’s greatest patriotic holiday event. There are two parades and many, many civic events climaxing with the GRITO and the following all-night street party on September 15 and the Parade on September 16.
- 7 pm – Coronation of the Queen of Fiestas Patrias 2009, Presidencia Municipal City Hall, Free Entry
- 7 pm – Second Municipal Forum of Independence, CECATUR Auditorium. An Encounter with the history of Mexico’s independence, myths and realities, truths or lies, anecdotes, to be awarded to an audience interested in this part of our history.
- 9 pm – Coronation of the Queen of the Fiestas Patrias in Las Palmas
- 11:30 pm – Coronation of Queen of the Fiestas Patrias de Ixtapa
- 9 am – civic ceremony to honor the Boy Heroes of Chapultepec. Roll call, wreath and honor guard in the main square of Pitillal.
- 9 pm – Coronation of Queen of the Fiestas Patrias of Las Juntas.
- 11 pm – Coronation of Queen of the Fiestas Patrias, Pitillal.
Día Nacional de la Charrería
- 11 am – Traditional CHARRO (cowboy) PARADE of la Unión de Asociaciones de Charros de Puerto Vallarta beginning at the Plaza Lázaro Cárdenas, Av. Ignacio L Vallarta, on Paseo Días Ordáz, Av. México, and continuing to Pitillal.
- 1 pm – PARADE through the main street of Pitillal.
XCIX Anniversary of the Independence of Mexico
- 8 am – CEREMONY: the flag is hoisted by members of the 8th. Zona Naval, Plaza de la Bandera, (entrance to the U. Sports Agustín Flores Contreras).
- 12 pm – CLV Anniversary of Mexican National Anthem. ¡Gran fiesta de México! Celebration of the first time that the national anthem was sung, the second most beautiful in the world. Participating will be students at all grade levels, civil authorities, naval and military, and private initiative, tourists, city employees and the general public.
- TRADITIONAL GAMES
- 6:15 pm – CARRERA DE MESEROS. Free participation, a RACE of all ages and genders. From the Cabalito sculpture to los Arcos del Malecón.
- 6:30 pm – CARRERA DE ENCOSTALADOS (sack race). Free participation, a RACE of all ages and genders. From the Cabalito sculpture to los Arcos del Malecón.
- 7 pm – PALO ENCEBADO. (The greased pole climb) Open to high school students only, on the beach at the Malecón.
- 7:30 pm – ¡GRAN NOCHE MEXICANA! The Queen of the Fiestas Patrias Vallarta 2009 and her court are presented to the people of Vallarta, along with a great FIESTA with CANCION RANCHERA and the XIUTLA FOLKLORICO BALLET
- 10:45 pm – FLAG CEREMONY of the Municipal President: Francisco Javier Bravo Carbajal, receives the national flag, with which to perform the ceremony of the Grito of Independence, from members of the Mexican Army.
- 10:55 pm – SPEECH OF INDEPENDENCE. José Emigdio Hurtado Rolon, Srio. General del H. Ayuntamiento, reads before the people of Vallarta the Arenga de Hidalgo and the Acta de Independencia, from the balcony of City Hall.
- 11 pm – Traditional Ceremony of the GRITO DE INDEPENDENCIA. From the main balcony of City Hall, Francisco Javier Bravo Carbajal, Mayor of Puerto Vallarta, performs the traditional ceremony of the GRITO, Cry of Independence.
- 11:30 pm – CASTILLOS and FIREWORKS at Los Arcos on the Malecón.
- 11:35 pm – the GRAN BAILE POPULAR. Grand public DANCE on the Malecón and in the main square.
Entries must be made at the time and place of the event.
CXCIX Anniversary of the beginning of the War of Independence
- 10 am – TRADITIONAL CIVIC AND MILITARY PARADE, through the main streets of Puerto Vallarta, starting in the Plaza Lázaro Cárdenas and ending to the north of town at Leys Mercado
- 7 pm – FIESTA MEXICANA at Los Arcos amphitheater with Mariachis, singers and Xiutla folkloric Ballet.